From: Metcalfe, Lee, AIR <Lee.Metcalfe@jocoks.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: LCN2 fuel system
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:25:44 -0500
To: <lml>
Message
Here's another way to rig the fuel system.  On my 320 (not built by me) there is the standard Facet pump to the header arrangement for each wing tank.  However, there are also direct feed lines (3/8" al) from the wing tanks to the fuel valve.  These have their own pick-ups in the tanks.  The fuel valve is 4-way: left tank, header tank, right tank or off.  I can pump to the header from either wing, or I can feed the engine fuel system (IO-320 with mechanical pump and electric boost pump) directly from any tank.  The mechanical pump pulls from the wings just fine.  The only time I use boost is on take-off, and that's for the standard safety reason in case of mechanical pump failure.  I have accidentally taken off without the boost on and it runs fine.  The only time I use the transfer pumps is when I forget to switch from the header to a wing tank after take-off.  I like to keep the header full as my reserve, and just in case I can't get fuel out of the wings for some reason.

Quite frankly, I have been considering taking out the transfer pump system.  I really don't like all those plastic fuel lines in the cockpit with me (I'd rather not have the header in there with me, either!).  Right after I bought the plane I had a scary experience with the plastic lines.  I had just topped off all the tanks and was taking off for a cross-country.  As I was climbing out I noticed raw fuel dripping from the bottom of the instrument panel right below the header sight gauge.  YIKES!  I quickly turned off the master switch and landed back.  Upon inspection, I found that the plastic line from the header that forms the sight gauge had cracked right at the end of the aluminum tubing out of the top of the header.  The sight gauge tubing and the the tubing from the Facet pumps (10 years old) was all hard as a rock!  Not having the time at that point to engineer an electric fuel gauge replacement, I had the sight gauge tubing replaced.  I also had the transfer lines inspected.  The A&P recommended replacing the transfer lines also.  I planned on doing that at the next annual.  But the plane is down for a prop replacement right now, and I'm looking at all that hard plastic tubing snaking around in the bottom of the cockpit and up behind the panel.  Seeing that plastic tubing running through the jumble of wires behind the panel just gives me the willies!

So my dilemma is, do I take out a functional system that, in my case, is more of a redundancy than a primary system, or do I spend about $500 on A&P time to replace it?

Happy holidays all!

Lee Metcalfe
N320WH  Kansas City
472 hrs. - still waiting for the prop (due any time, now!)