From: Bob Pastusek <rpastusek@htii.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [LML] Stopnuts - AN365 vs MS21042
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 01:15:27 -0500
To: <lml>
Clark,

The all-metal nuts we used on AF jet engines exceeded the tensile strength of AN components for equivalent size fasteners, but I don't have the data for these specific parts. One consideration is that the MS nuts don't have as much bearing surface, so I'd suggest using only the standard (vice the thin) washers with them when applying to composite and other "soft" materials, and carefully watch the tightening torque. From personal experience, the thin washers, combined with overtightening that is typical without aid of a torque wrench, will "cone" the washers and supporting material--especially composites.

Although I don't see  how you could spare it, most of the rest of us could achieve even better weight savings, and improve our general lot in life in by a modest diet...

Bob