From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: Direct Routings
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 13:45:23 -0500
To: <lml>
Posted for "Leon Smith" <jlbk@adelphia.net>:

This is very interesting.  I spent 16 days flying around in Australia this
spring (40 hrs all VFR) and don't recall ever hearing the work "heading".
The universal terminology used was "track" or "tracking".  Most of my flying
was in the Outback, but visited 3 controlled airports and numerous Mandatory
Broadcast Zone (MBZ) airports.  All used the term "track" instead of
"heading".
Maybe some of our Aussie friends on the list could help us on this.  Does
the term "track" as used in Aussie land truly mean track, or is this just
another way of saying heading?

Leon Smith
Super ES 95%?

None of these answers is particularly satisfying.

[ how many times have you been +- 300 feet from your
assigned alt, and the controller said "say alt"? your response
(while straining from the Gs getting back to the assigned
alt) of course is what he wants.. but if we are so sloppy on alt
control, what makes us think a few points in heading should
require a NPRM? I'd prefer to keep my money, and not give
any paperwork to bureaucrats..... sorry, maybe I'm the only one who isn't a perfect flyer, but I just don't see the point in this
thread. -Rob@Logan.com ]