From: Jim Cameron <toucan@78055.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: XPDR Antenna Problem
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:56:02 -0500
To: <lml>
    I have the same problem with my Bob Archer XPDR antenna, which in my ES is mounted on the inside of the large inspection cover on the left side of the empennage, just under the HStab.  Typically, when I'm 20 or 30 miles out and heading directly toward an APC radar, they'll call me and complain they're not receiving my transponder.  I've learned to ask them to just hold on for a few miles, as it usually shows up when I get closer.  They usually grump and admit they do have my primary echo.  A couple of times I've had to do a 90-degree turn for ID -- they'll see it, then sometimes not see it again when I turn back toward the radar location.  So far no problems with transmission to either side or to the rear.

    I did talk to Bob Archer on the telephone about it.  He seemed mildly surprised I was getting any forward transmission at all, given the amount of junk forward of the antenna location (spars, gear plates, flap motors, pilots, panel, engine, etc.).   The size and shape of Bob's antenna being what they are, I can't think of another location for it that would fix the problem.  Probably the only way around it is to put an external antenna on the belly, and build a ground plane inside with copper foil tape, a la Jim Weir.  So far it hasn't been enough of a problem, often enough, to justify any action.  If I flew a lot of legs into congested areas, however, I guess I'd have to do it.

Jim Cameron
Lancair Super ES,  N143ES