From: The Colwell's <colwell@innercite.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: LNC2 Tail Incidence, Rudder Cables
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:00:08 -0500
To: <lml>
These are two different animals:
A.  Swaged Fittings- - Require a rotary swaging tool that is a large, heavy, delicate and expensive piece of equipment found at some FBOs and Sailboat Rigging Shops.  Swaged fittings are designed to have more strength than the cable.
B.  Nicopress Fittings- - Can be applied by cheap bolt-clamp squeezers or much larger tools (about 2' long).  Nicopress fittings are much cheaper and the weak link in the cable.  Probably OK for anything Lancair specifies them for if properly installed.

Tell any shop you use that you want to watch the verification tool used on each fitting after the job is done.  In my previous life as a simple yacht merchant we were very careful to screen out the ultra lite guys, liability you know.

Steve Colwell   Legacy  N15SC reserved    (530) 621-3408  Placerville, CA

Aircraft Spruce
says the fittings must be installed with a rotary swaging tool

Charles,

Interestingly, Aircraft Spruce has a tool kit for cutting cables and swaging nicopress sleeves if you aren't doing that for a living.  The kit is very inexpensive and the swaging tool  consists of machined bars with different sized opening and bolts that, when tightened to clamp the bars together, do a perfect job of swaging nicopress sleeves onto the cables.  I have not been able to pull my cables apart when thusly done.

Scott Krueger
N92EX

PS Rob's  suggestion to use your local mechanic's tool is also a good way to get the job done.