From: Paul Davis <pdavis@bmc.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: You don't know what you've been missing
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 12:02:10 -0500
To: <lml>
Lurker mode off:

After sitting on this for several days I've decided to post it after
all.

The first few times I posted questions to the list I got as many or
more answers off-list as on and even a few direct phone calls.  I
found this odd, especially compared to other lists.  I thought the
point was to SHARE questions (AND answers).  Some of the off-list
responders specifically asked that I not identify them or quote
their e-mails in postings to the list.  I found this even more odd.
Eventually the reason became painfully obvious.  There are lurkers on
the list who are reluctant to post -- at least some of the time and
on some subjects -- because they want to avoid hostility, personal
attacks and "food-fights".  Imagine that!

Now most of the time we all get along fine -- except when we don't.
After what I thought was an unnecessarily nasty post (on-list) in
response to an honest attempt to answer a question as best I could I
decided the lurkers are probably right.  The list is a great place
to ASK questions, but I will ANSWER questions sparingly and mostly
off-list.  Problem solved -- at least for me.  Besides, I'm a novice
builder and my meager contributions won't be missed.  Of course there
is that group of non-novice people who are also in lurker mode.  And
if enough choose to lurk the utility of the list will be reduced.  But
them's the breaks.

I thought to quietly slip away, but my smarter and more reasonable
wife convinced me I really should at least mention this on the list
and/or complain to the moderator(s).  The moderator is really the only
one who can FORCE us to "play nice", but making the list members a
little more aware might help.  Besides, even though the moderator is
the only possible enforcer the push to do something (anything) must
come from the list.  It's up to you.

Lurker mode back on:

Paul Davis
INTP