From: Lorn H. Olsen <lorn@dynacomm.ws>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 11:44:09 -0500
To: <lml>
On 10/07/02, out over the Gulf of Mexico, on my way to Venice, FL, on a direct course from about 30 miles east of Tallahassee to Venice, at 11,500 ft.(density altitude 14,000 ft.), at 185 kts., I hit a bird.

It happened very fast. I saw a black dot in front and on the left and heard a thump. I had no time to do anything. After the strike, the first thing that I did was to check all of the engine gauges and make sure that the engine was still OK. It was. Next I tested the controls. The controls still felt OK.

I then looked around to see if I could see where it had hit. I could. On the left wing about 8" back from the leading edge and about 1/2 way between the wing attach and the wing tip I could see the mark. There was a streak about 6" wide and about 18" long. I reported the strike to Jacksonville Center and continued the flight.

When on the ground in Venice, I could see that there was no damage and the bird feathers wiped away with a damp cloth. What a relief for me. To bad for the bird.

Had the bird been flying 8" lower, I think that I would have had much more serious wing damage. This letter is to let you know that birds can be at any altitude. Keep your eyes open, stay on the alert and have fun flying.

Sincerely,
--
Lorn H. 'Feathers' Olsen, MAA, DynaComm, Corp.
248-478-4301, mailto:lorn@dynacomm.ws