From: Brent Reganby way of marv@lancaironline.net <Brent@regandesigns.com>
Subject: Re: Grant Bailey
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:51:43 -0400
To: <lml@lancaironline.net>
I would like to thank everyone for their support, both direct and indirect, over the last few days. I have taken great comfort in it.

Regarding the unfortunate story that I have an "Illegal Airport" on my property I give you my word that this is not the case.

Not wanting even the suggestion of impropriety hanging over me I have hired counsel to seek declaratory judicial relief. Their first advice to me was to ignore the press as they are seldom accurate and quickly forgotten. I would ask that you follow that advice. When I have accurate information of significance, I will post it, as it impacts all of out aviation "rights".

Yesterday the FAA investigator informed me that they (the FAA) and the NTSB had concluded their investigation and released the aircraft. In yet another ironic twist, 599L was equipped with a CFS EFIS system which survived the crash. Lancair was able extract the flight data log and give this information to the FAA.  This shortened the investigation period and hopefully the official report will bring a measure of comfort to friends and family.

Speculation and rumor can do much harm to those least able to bear it. Please refrain.

Whatever the official conclusion, it will not change the fact that Grant and Barry were good people and aviation is diminished with their loss. Carsten's thoughts were well stated and I would repeat them now:
<<
A week has passed since we lost a good friend.  It was especially a shock to all of us here who have worked with Grant for the last 4 years.  The funeral last Saturday filled the church with his friends and family.

Obviously we all want to know and understand what happened.  We can all speculate and wonder what really happened on that fatal flight last Tuesday.  I don't intend to go into the details of what took place but I would like to pass on some comments in remembering my friend.

I have flown with Grant on countless occasions.  I have always known him to be skilled and very careful.  He always made the conservative and safe decision.  One of his functions at Lancair was flight instruction.  I hope he will be remembered for his professionalism and what he did for all of us.  I invite all of you to be part of his induction to the EAA Wall of Fame at Oshkosh next year.

Grant is survived by his wife Cari and his 1 ½ year old son Marshall.  A trust fund is being set up for Marshall for college.  Please contact me at <mailto:carstens@lancair.com>carstens@lancair.com to get more information about the college fund.   >>

Regards
Brent Regan