From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Splitting The List
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 20:06:26 -0400
To: <lml>
Hi gang.....

Well, we've been hard at it trying to come up with a way of keeping everyone happy... while it is generally true that that particular undertaking typically results in failure, we've come up with a compromise that seems to address most of the issues with very little downside in any direction.

First of all, as I mentioned in a reply to Peter vanArsdale a few days ago, I am more than reluctant to migrate the LML to a web-based forum and making it necessary for you to log in someplace on the WWW to see what's going on. While they look like the right answer for some subjects and groups, I and the vast majority of respondents to the "split-the-list" suggestion feel that we are better served by the email solution that has served us so well in the past.  The simplicity, flexibility, and timeliness of an email list is simply tough to beat. The primary reason folks wanted to see separate lists for each model of Lancair was to make it easier for them to zero in on those posts they are most interested in, that being those relative to the particular Lancair that they are building/flying/agonizing-over/whatever.  The inherent problem with splitting the list into a series of disconnected segments is that the Lancair family of aircraft is just that, a group that shares many similar traits from model to model.  Consequently, if I, as a 360 builder, were to only subscribe to an LNC2 list, it is very likely that I would be missing out on a huge volume of information that would be flowing from the folks whose primary interest is in the other three models in the family.  The truth of this premise is indisputable, as I have learned far more and derived much greater benefit from The List in its present form than I ever could have had I followed along with only the other 360 contributors.  This statement is in no way intended to minimize the excellent advice I've received from all my 235/320/360 friends out there, but simply meant to amplify the fact that they are only a portion of the total resource available on the LML.  I'm sure this situation is borne out equally by the rest of you, whether you like to admit it or not <g>.

So, what have we done in reply to the "split-the-list" suggestion?.... it's actually pretty simple.  We've setup four new model-specific sublists that will all report to the parent LML by sending everything that is posted to them directly to the LML for distribution to all subscribers.  The sublists are named as follows:

"LNC" for the pre-Legacy 2-seaters
"LEG" for the Legacy
"LES" for the ES "LIV" for all flavors of the Lancair IV

The LML is the primary subscriber to each of these four sublists, and receives every post from them in the feed mode.  Posts coming from the Legacy sublist will include [LEG] in the subject, those from the pre-Legacy 2-seater sublist will have [LNC}, those from the ES sublist will include [LES], and it will be [LIV] for posts from the IV sublist.  When the LML forwards along the posts to the group it sticks in its [LML] in the subject line as well, to make sure that any filters that you might have set up will still operate as intended. That's how the distribution end works.

The purpose of the individual sublists is not to split the LML into segments, but to make it easier for us to define what is actually to follow within the posts being sent.  Since I am a LNC2 builder I am going to subscribe to the LNC sublist.  If I have a message I want to send to the LML that is specific to the 360 (ie, how do I mount the LNC2 canopy, question about the main gear scissor link, big tail/small tail, anything specific ONLY to the LNC2) I will send that post to the LNC sublist.  It will show up on the LML with [LML][LNC] in the subject line.  Those of you who are building or flying a different model will see the [LNC] in the subject line and can simply skim the post, or bypass it completely, or send it to the bit bucket with the delete key... the decision will be yours.  If, OTOH, I have a general kind of question, (ie, avionics & antennae, paint & interior, composite construction, general engine & powerplant, fly-ins, aeronautics, or anything else that doesn't relate to a specific Lancair model) I will send the post to the regular LML list.  These types of general posts will show up in the regular LML email, just as they always have, with only [LML] in the subject.  The only changes I will need to make are to 1) subscribe to my model-specific sublist(s), 2) add the sublist(s) email address(es) to my addressbook, 3) remeber to send NEW model specific posts to the sublist address and general posts to the regular address.  (In reality this is nothing more than a fancy way of insuring that the model designator is included in the subject line.)

So far, so good, eh?  Let's not stop here, as it gets better.

If you're worried about receiving double posts from the LML, (the one from the LML that includes everything and the one from your model-specific sublist), relax... it won't happen.  The default subsciption mode for subscribers to the sublists is designated "null", which means that even though you are subscribed to that list, you won't receive any posts from it.  The only subscriber that receives posts from the sublists is the LML list itself... it is the distribution channel for everything coming into the sublists.  There will be no separate archive of the sublists, but messages coming from them through the LML will show up in the LML archive with their identifying subject headings, making it easier to search and access model specific information within The LML.

Now, is it mandatory that you participate in this little adventure?  No, not at all.  If you are only a lurker and enjoy reading the LML but have no interest in submitting posts, or occasionally find yourself replying but never initiating threads yourself, then subscribing to any of the model-specific sublists would be a waste of time and effort.  They are simply distribution channels INTO the LML, nothing more.   The same goes for folks whose primary interest is in one of the more general discussion categories.  But, if you are a Legacy builder, or an ES or IV or 235/320/360 builder/flyer, and there is a chance you might want to send a model-specific post to The List that would start a discussion about a model-specific topic, then by all means, subscribe to the sublist of your choice.  Just remember to send model specific posts to your sublist, and general posts direct to The LML.  If you're involved with multiple models and will be posting initial comments about each of them, then subscribe to whichever of the sublists match your interests.

Once a post is sent to the LML through one of the sublists, all further discussion on that topic will take place on the parent LML... the sublist header will survive the reply process and stay in the subject box AS LONG AS YOU DON'T DIDDLE WITH THE SUBJECT WHEN REPLYING.  (I am thinking seriously about adding a new rule (do we really have those things here?) to the List Posting Guidelines, that being:  "Subject headings are SACRED and the only persons that can change them are the person who sent the original post in the thread, or The List moderator to keep things focused when thread-creep has moved the thread onto a new subject.")

Well, that about covers it.  I'm still testing and tweaking and am not ready to actually turn all of this on yet, but I wanted you to know what's going on and invite your comments and questions.  And let's talk about it in the open, that way we can all understand what's happening.  Fire away........

         <Marv>

PS.... keep those posts coming!