From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Aircraft Log
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:47:56 -0400
To: <lml>

Posted for "Paul Nafziger" <naf@britevalley.com>:
Rob, the only entry in my log book was the weight and balance I did and the
general statement the FAA wants you to put in there about inspecting it and
certifying it airworthy, or whatever.  It was actually during the
pre-inspection that the DAR told me to put that statement in.  He wrote it
out for me so he was sure it was worded properly.

During the pre-inspection, he found a number of things he wanted corrected
before sign-off -- all of them good.  I made a list as he pointed things out
and asked his recommendations on how to fix them.  When he showed up for the
final inspection, I handed him his list with the corrective actions noted.
Sure made the final inspection a breeze.

I guess nothing else was needed, because my DAR got a "check ride" from the
local FSDO as he did my final inspection and passed with flying colors.

I had a few pictures of me working on the airplane, but the vast majority
were taken to document the workmanship in areas that were closed out.
Inspector didn't say anything.  Of course, he probably figured I built it
all myself since it took 12 1/2 years!

I _strongly_ suggest you ask the local EAA chapter for advice on which DAR
to use.  Sometimes I think there are as many FAA's as there are inspectors.
Seems like each one interprets the rules the way he wants.

Naf

What sorts of things should I be recording in the aircraft logbook?  Leak
checks of wing tanks?  Quantity checks of fuel tanks?  Rigging the controls?
Flap deflection functional tests and rigging?  Landing gear functional
tests?
  Engine runs?  What else?
<<<