From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] Re: Turbine power
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:19:48 -0400
To: <lml>
Posted for Robert Dorsey <rmd-mcse@cox.net>:

There is one thing that you have to be aware of regarding "rated HP"
figures for turbines, and it depends on the model and manufacturer--many
times the HP listed is de-rated. This gives a better reliability due to
cooler burn and same HP delivery for a range of altitude. Not sure if the
smaller turbine manufacturers do this, but I would inquire if I were in the
market.
For instance, the engines on the Piper 400LS are de-rated to produce 1000
SHP, and they also produce that up to a very high altitude (fuel controller
dials in fuel flow based on info sent to it by the DEEC). During
developement 1750 SHP was easily attained on the same engine. Bob