From: <Billhogarty@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] IV-P Top
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:48:26 -0400
To: <lml>
Jim:

Yes, I installed the  baggage door and the main door  in the top before I bonded the top onto the bottom.  In fact, I installed everything I could think of in the top;  including upper console, wiring, seatbelt posts, visor posts, painting, and especially the defroster.

Some suggestions:

       1.  Be sure to install several screw/wingnuts around the plane and especially around the door so that the top goes on exactly the same way each time.

       2. When fitting the top,  I installed a 4-bid capstrip across the top of the firewall so that I could drill the chickenplate holes  before  the top was glued on.  Then I bonded the chicken plates to the bottom of the capstrip and did another trial fit with the top.  When it was time to glue on the top, almost all the of hard work was done.

       3.  I assume that you have already completed the wiring and the instrument panel installation.  The instrument panel will have to be removed before the  top goes on because you have to install the screws/washers/nuts thru the chicken plates  across the back of the firewall.  Also,  the top/bottom seam needs flox filling from the inside and then a 3-bid cover.  This can all be done with the doors off.

       4.  I had all the windows in before I installed my top.  SOooo, installing the inside doorlatch plates was a chore.  Someone recommended leaving the copilots window out untill you finish the doorlatches but I was afraid that the contour of the top might change during/after the gluing process which might interfere with the fit of the copilots window.  So I did it the hard way just to be sure.  Yes, its tough to crawl out the baggage door but you loose so much weight sweating inside the plane with the door closed, that it gets easier after awhile!!!! (RIGHT)

If you plan to install the air-pump onto the inside top of the door, I suggest that you do it while the top is off.  Then its real easy to run the wiring inside the top up to the overhead and install one of Verns 3-pole contactors to bring power into the door.  Using the 3rd pole of the contactor, I  installed a microswitch on the 2nd door handle to activate a door-unlock warning light on the instrument panel. (I was flying a T-33 at 23,000 ft when the canopy unlock light came on!!! but thats a different story)   By mounting the air-pump inside the door, the door seal connects directly without the ackward tubing arraignment in the manual.  Let me know if you need a photo.

Hope this helps, Happy Building

Bill Hogarty IV-P @ 91%