From: Skip Slater <skipslater@earthlink.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [LML] ES Fusalage bonding
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:50:19 -0400
To: <lml>
Mark,
   Ditto on everything Jim Cameron said about putting the lid on your
fuselage.  I did a few of the things on it beforehand, namely bonding in all
windows, the overhead and the door frame.  Just as Jim said, we had to split
both my frame and door stiffener in several places to get them to fit.  We
also had to cut the overhead duct to make it go in a straight line.  I think
this would be a serious pain to do once the top was on.
   My main advice is on the door latches.  Based on Jim's and a couple of
other ES builder's advice, I too decided early on not to use the sliding pin
latches.  I called Vern and he sold me a complete kit of parts for the IV
door latches, which is what is being used on the non-pressurized fast build
door.  It's just what Jim described; two IV-P type latches that go on the
bottom edge of the door and all associated hardware.  It was a few hundred
dollars, but a far superior way to go.  The kit included all instructions
and blueprints.  These latches are now standard on the ES if that tells you
anything.
   Good luck,
   Skip Slater
   ~95+% and counting