From: Howard "Rusty" Hamer <hamer@gv.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: [LML] engines for 235?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:48:25 -0400
To: <lml>
Jarrett,
I'm running a O-340 (a 1/4 inch stroke increase over a O320) which is a
narrow deck engine that uses the same MA-4-5 carb as many O-360's. The
width of the engine is the same as a narrow deck O-320 but the bigger carb
increased the heigth of the engine about one inch. That heigth could have
been handled but the width of the carb required the engine to be moved
forward about an inch to clear the nose gear upper pivot. The O-360 engines
have 1/2 inch more stroke than the O-320's and I believe they increased the
crankcase width to fit the wider crankshaft in the case. I had to replace
all the original cylinders in the rebuild and the replacement cylinders
from ECI came with capped fuel injection ports making fuel injection
installation possible. It was necessary to install a 90 degree turn to the
manifold on the bottom of the case to get the airflow unit in the cowl. I
suggest you measure and weigh your O-360 vs a narrow deck O-320 using a
MA-4 SPA carb to see where you will have problems. I'm using a Catto three
bladed prop that weighs around 15 pounds. I think you'll find the added
weight of the O-360 and a constant speed prop will move your CG out of the
forward limits without adding weights aft of the CG. The extra glass, bondo
and paint I had to add to reattach the tail on my plane after the landing
on the flat bed truck solved my CG problem with the O-340 engine which is
lighter than a O-360. I suggest an engine trade with a short cowl 320 guy
that would like to be a 360 guy with the added weight up front.

Rusty