From: <JIMRHER@aol.com>
Subject: Walts Lancair two axis trim indicator Panel problem
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 00:15:53 EST
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Walter,
Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your Trim module and your Panel. I
have just the opposite experience and am very happy with the work Lancair
Avionics did for me. I have been flying mine since December and have about 50
hours on it now. I have the Trim module that you described and I didn't even
notice that the blue lights were TOO bright until you pointed it out. This is
what I think happens in the real world. When I trim for take off I have ONE
bulb on in the noise up direction and ONE bulb on in the right rudder
direction. I think those are Yellow. When I'm flying the noise trim is in the
middle, or One bulb on some times, and the Rudder is trimmed for every speed
but if it turns on One blue light I don't even notice it in flight and you
could even turn it off at night. The main time you need this is when trimming
for take off (after landing I have had 3 blues showing noise up). After that
you trim for flight conditions and don't even look at it. I was pushing LA to
get this Module when I contracted with them and I'm happy with it.

As for their work? I thought that their Quote was very fair and the labor
came in better than they had quoted. The workmanship is excellent. I have
probably one of the most complicated panels that I have seen and even after
their extensive bench test I still had some unexplained issues that had to be
worked out. I can say that if you install all the latest things offered you
will have a time period that you will need to work out the bugs. Most of
these high tech instruments are NOT just plug and play but require a very
good support staff, which I think Lancair Avionics has.

I have over $130 K in my panel and what I really like about the Experimental
plane is that I can put things into it that won't be out on the certified
market for years. I can say that I'm very appreciative of Lancair for not
only designing these great flying machines but Tooling them up and molding
them in State of the art Materials and then having the workshops and staff to
follow through with the completed project. One of my continuing avionics
problems is in the UPS stack which is Certified and has the same kind of
issues that I have experienced with my Bonanza, so instead of finding fault
and threatening legal action, I have been very willing to work things out.

Bottom line, after 50 hours, I think my biggest problem is the Pilot learning
how to use all this great stuff. I would be happy to help with any details.

Ed said it well too. Remember we all need one another in this hobby.

Jim Hergert
N6XE plane Sexy L4P

LML website:   http://members.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair
Please remember that purchases from the Builders' Bookstore
assist with the management of the LML.

Please send your photos and drawings to marvkaye@olsusa.com.