From: Jim Cameron <toucan@78055.com>
Subject: Ground loops (the electric kind)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:20:21 -0600
To: Lancair Mail List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    To Jack Hickham:

    Run, don't walk, to Bob Nuckolls' web site (www.aeroelectric.com) and
get his book, "The Aeroelectric Connection."  All will be revealed!
Seriously, this is the freshest breeze to blow through avionics in a long
time.  His book is packed full of good stuff, including complete electrical
system diagrams for everything from stone simple to highly sophisticated
systems with dual battery / dual alternator / multi-bus / etc.

    Briefly, ground loops can occur when you have different things grounded
to different points, with some sort of network of wires connecting all the
ground points together.  Since the real world is non-ideal and real wires
have some resistance, current (especially at radio frequencies) flowing to
ground at one point can induce wild and not wonderful phenomena in your
avionics.  Noise is the principal goblin, but there are others.  Plan from
the start to bring ALL your ground wires to a single point.  Bob's "forest
of tabs" is a great way to do this, unless you happen to be one of those who
think fastons are a commie plot.  I've used 'em in two planes with no
problems.  Again, see articles on Bob's website, and be sure to get the good
quality fastons and the proper crimp tool.

Jim Cameron
N143ES

LML website:   http://members.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair
Please remember that purchases from the Builders' Bookstore
assist with the management of the LML.

Please send your photos and drawings to marvkaye@olsusa.com.