From: Joe and Maria Santos <jmccs@home.com>
Subject: Re: Compressors
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 20:48:42 -0700
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dana,

When I started my ES, I bought the Sears Craftsman 6 HP 30 Gal compressor.
They have two versions of this, one where the Tylenol shaped tank is
horizontal, and one where it's vertical. I was told they're identical except
for the layout. They put out 6.4 scfm at 90 PSI, which is what most of the
tools I've seen are rated for. I work alone, so I only use one tool at a
time. The tool I use 90% of the time is one of the Central Pneumatic micro
die grinders. This is one of the purple colored pencil-sized dremel-like
tool. This setup works fine, and I think the price was good compared to
other compressors I shopped around for, but I have a couple of somewhat
annoying issues:

1) It is very, very loud. I put it in another room next to where I work.
It's still super loud.

2) It sucks power, especially when it starts. I constantly have to reset the
circuit breaker.

3) I don't use a moisture trap. Perhaps I should. This thing blows a fair
amount of moisture (and I live in the relatively low humidity of
California.) Lancair emphasized that you should not lubricate your tools
since oil ruins epoxy. Without oil, and with the moisture, I ruined my first
die grinder after only 2 months of use.

Before I bought this, I looked at several compressors sold through
amazon.com. They're much higher end, and much more expensive. I think
they're quieter too.

Good luck!

Joe Santos

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html