From: Bruce McEwen <silkeplsn@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Static Dischargers
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 07:54:51 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

David:

Snip---

>     I am building an ES and was wondering if anyone farther along
> than me (horiz stab) had any input towards static dischargers for e-
> glass aircraft.

Snip---

I am also building an ES and have just completed my elevators and did not
install static wicks.  I did a fair amount of research and a fair amount of
collaboration with fellow builders regarding static wicks to see if it
applied to my situation.  Here is summary of what I found:

Since I do not intend on turbo charging our ES and operating it at flight
level altitudes, the only potential benefit I found from adding static wicks
would be improved radio reception with internally mounted antennas.  Based
on shear number of headaches that I've heard about from fellow builders
regarding internally mounted Comm antennas, I've decided that I mount mine
antennas externally.

I also found, that contrary to popular option, static wicks do not reduce
ones chances of being struck by lightening.  They do however, have the
capacity of reducing the damage that one may sustain from being struck,
(although not guaranteed).

My conclusion was that since my piloting skills require me to respect the
weather, my plane will not be flying a flight levels or flight level speeds
and I'm willing to have an externally mounted antennas (like the Columbia),
that I did not need to install static wicks.  Just to be sure, also took
this issue up with Lancair directly and they concurred with my conclusions.

Lastly, since it's always good idea to get more one opinion, here are a
couple of web sites I found on the subject as part of my research:

http://www.tpub.com/air/2-29.htm
http://www.speedbrakes.com/static1.html

The second URL is a bit of sales pitch aimed directly at IV-P drivers.

Happy building,

Bruce McEwen & Silke Paulsen
~10% Super ES

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/mkaye/maillist.html