From: Lynda Frantzby way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <LFrantz@compuserve.com>
Subject: Nylaflow tubing for brakes
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 07:35:00 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There have been many incidents of runway excursions or near excursions
which were the result of Nylaflow failures.  Several of these have been
documented in the Lancair Network News.  Glasairs have also had many
problems with the Nylaflow tubing resulting in a SB several years ago.  I'm
also aware of folks who state no problems with the tubing but I think they
have just been lucky.

Keep in mind that there is no nose wheel steering on our craft.  If one
brake is inop the other is unusable due to the lack of nose wheel steering.
 Therefore, if one brake fails and the runway is short you have only two
options, exit the end or exit the side.  100% brake reliability is
imperative.

Nylaflow has apparently  been failing due to fatigue at bends and failing
in areas of high temps like near the brake disks.  One LNN article even
documented brittle tubing up inside the weel well area.

I used pressure tubing that  is constructed of #3 AL hard lines and  #3 SS
teflon braided hose where flexing is required.  AL lines and aircraft
quality flex lines cost more than Nylaflow but is cheap insurance in my
opinion.

Jim Frantz
Lancair Network News