From: Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com>
Subject: brake lines,brake bleeding
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 01:31:53 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Posted for "Brian Winterberg" <brian@asis.com>:

Curtis,

I had a failure of the Nylaflow line on the right brake when it overheated
after a
long taxi with that brake staying on and not releasing after using it on
rollout.
It was at an airshow and I should have stopped and got it unstuck but didn't.
Fortunately it broke when I was parking and caused a stationary ground loop
but
also blew fluid on the hot brake which could have caught fire. I was lucky no
damage occured from either problem.  I still don't know why the brake
locked up and
wouldn't release...dirty guides for the pads or maybe the wheel had worked
loose
and bound up the pads some. So I would recomend something else near the wheel
anyway that cannot burst by heat in case of a stuck brake...at the least
get it
unstuck and don't continue taxing any longer than necessary for safety.

Ed mentioned trouble bleeding the brakes..I believe the brake line goes in
the top
of the caliper on the 320/360 and the bleed valve is on the bottom..It is a
simple
matter to fill the lines and master cylinder from the brake up by pumping
fluid
through a hand pump squirt can/oil can attached to a small piece of tubing to
fit.  Pump the hydraulic fluid until all the lines are full and the bubbles
are
gone, then just close the bottom valve.

Brian Winterberg
N320BW