From: by way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <dechaze@cardell.com>
Subject: Re:Brake line routing
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 08:58:57 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Doug Waddingham asks about brakeline routing...

It depends on what brake options you have and what else will be in the way.  I
have the remote brake fluid reservoir, in-flight adjustable brake
mechanism, and
parking brake.  The reservoir is mounted on the firewall directly above the
pedals.  The tubes are under the floor panel per the manual.  From there, the
lines go to the parking brake valve mounted on the front side of the main spar
near the tunnel.  I also have my starter contactor here and electrical ground
junction so it's crowded.

The standard nylaflow lines then route in a sweeping bend to the corner of the
rear spar and side panel closeouts.  I thought about jamming them into the
center console but with everything else in there (hydraulics, one rudder
cable,
wiring, push tube) I decided against.  They are taped down with bid and seat
cushions/pans will be cut to clear.  The lines are poked through the
intermediate wheel well rib, over the gear structure, and down to
approximately
the pivot point of the doughnut assembly.  Here I attach to a 1/4" aluminum
tube
to make the final run down to the brake cylinder.  These lines won't be coming
out so I expect to use silicone or micro at the points where the lines
penetrate
panels.

Bleeding the brakes was a hassle.  I may have picked the wrong port at the
wheel
to attach the aluminum line (the lower of the two).  I can't imagine trying to
bleed the brakes with the standard master cylinders so consider the remote
reservoir option.

Ed de Chazal,
Rochester Michigan