From: Doug & Susan Pohl <dpohl@cdh.net>
Subject: EngineAir V8
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:16:12 -0500
To: <Lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Doug Pohl (not Susan) with a follow-up.

Last month I posted an inquiry concerning customer experiences with the
EngineAir V8.  It was not the intention of the posting to criticize
EngineAir or spook customers, but rather to share information concerning the
Engine.  For the record, I sincerely believe that Jim Rahm and Al Joniec
have developed an aircraft engine which is second to none.  There is simply
no engine available which produces so much horsepower yet weighs so little,
and does this day after day with complete reliability and at a reasonable
price.  Jim and Al now have a proprietary reduction gear box which for lack
of a better word is perfect, and will forever change the nature of the
powerplant field.  For this reason, I continue to be a customer of
EngineAir.

As to the delays that Jim and Al have experienced in production, I think it
is odd that Kitplanes this month would publish an irresponsible article
promoting Wheeler and his NSI company (or is it NSI LLP, or NSI LLC?  It's
hard to keep track, they keep going bankrupt).  This is the very company
that put EngineAir behind the eight ball.  Jim in good faith forwarded
Wheeler quite a bit of money to design and build the gear box for the
EngineAir engine.  Jim even provided an engine and prop.  Mysteriously, both
the engine and prop disappeared for several years.  EngineAir never got the
gear box it was promised by NSI and was forced to seek a judgement against
NSI.  Unfortunately, Jim was two bankruptcies too late and collected
essentially nothing.  The failure of NSI to deliver a gear box set EngineAir
back several years.  As all of you know, the gear box is a critical item
which must be properly engineered.  EngineAir has designed and built a state
of the art gear box.  Engine deliveries are imminent.

Those of you who know Jim Rahm realize that he is honest and faithful to his
plan.  His ultimate goal is safety.  This is sadly lacking with many
vendors.  If EngineAir is late with its deliveries, it's only because Jim
and Al will not delivery an engine until it is right.  My thanks to both of
them.

Doug Pohl
Auburn, ME.