From: MR STUART D SEFFERNby way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <RTWM02A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Oil Blow By
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 1998 16:55:31 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a request from a friend who helped us with our lancair
projects and who has built and completed three airplanes including a
Glasair IIFT and a Galstar.  Please reply directly to him at dan.
dudley@ccmail.adp.wisc.edu, since he is not on the service.

Author: "Dan DUDLEY"<dan.dudley@ccmail.adp.wisc.edu>
Date:       11/2/98 8:41 AM

To Tom and any other engine experts:

I have had a problem with some oil on the belly of my plane from my
oil overflow
line.
Having talked to many people and mechanics, I have received many
different
explanations for such. I could install an oil receiver and dump the
oil back
into the oil pan but this does not either fix the problem or identify
what is
going on. I am losing about a quart every six hours.

My hanger buddie has the same problem with his Cessna 172. Both of
our engines
are rebuilt and are O320's. Both rebuilt from totally different shops
and
state.  Our exhaust color is correct our compressions are fine our
timming have
been checked.(neither have chromed cylinders)

Our latest advice comes from another mechanic-He says our engines
were broke in
wrong and the cylinder walls are glazed. the fix is remove the
cylinders and
hone out and install new rings.

What is the proper proceedure to break in an engine? We both followed
the lyc
proceedures. ie use mineral oil first 50 hrs then switch to 15-50 and
run them
hard-75% or more power.

Need some sound accurate advice or someone who really understands
this problem.

Thanks,

Dan Dudley
N98ET