From: by way of Marvin Kaye <marvkaye@olsusa.com> <dechaze@cardell.com>
Subject: Re:Exhaust and Heat Muff, Hydraulic Gages
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 10:57:26 -0500
To: <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Scott Dahlgren asks about interference between the 60 amp B&C alternator
and the
exhaust heat muff on the 320.

I have the 360 engine and don't know if this makes a difference.  But while
the
components are close, I don't seem to have an interference.  I'm just now
poking
around in that area and have realised that the heat muff can be removed, and
reversed so that the two scat flanges can be oriented in a better way for
plumbing.  My exhaust is the Lancair 3/4 style, probably the same as yours.

On the subject of taping the exhaust system;

People in automotive have looked at ways to cut the heat loss around the pipe
upstream of the catalysts in an attempt to light them off sooner.  The vast
majority of hydrocarbons emitted from the tail pipe in the EPA tests happen in
the first 60 seconds of engine start before the catalyst has had time to
come up
to temperature.   To my knowledge there are no thermodynamic (read power or
economy) benefits to insulating the exhaust.

A couple of weeks ago someone asked who the manufacturer of my panel mounted
hydraulic gages is.  The Lancair avionics people told me that they are
reconditioned units dating back a long time.  They could not locate a
source for
new gages that would fit.  Next time I talk to Lancair I will ask for the
reconditioning source.

Regards,
Ed de Chazal