From: Aaron May <aaronmay1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Blue Mountain Avionics
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
To: Lancair List <lancair.list@olsusa.com>
         <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          <<  Lancair Builders' Mail List  >>
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<--->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay guys -
   I found this company via an ad in some magazine.
(www.bluemountainavionics.com)  The website is quite
well laid out and the guy knows his stuff.  I'm
considering putting this in the Legacy and to be
completely honest with you all and myself as well, I
am trying hard to find the downsides to it.  Now
that's not to say that I cannot find any - just not
MANY.  Maybe not enough.  Here's the way I look at it,
and I'm opening this line of thinking up for any and
all constructive criticizm.

Look at the upsides first:
#1. It's CHEAP! (relatively speaking)  You can put a
2-screen system in your plane for an even $10k.  Add 5
thousand more for anything else you could possibly
want (you need at least a nav/com and xpdr) and you've
got a sweet panel for $15k.  Even if you managed to
put another 5k in there (DVD players and whatnot) -
who heard of a DUAL screen efis panel for 20k?!  Am I
missing something?

#2. It does a LOT of stuff (for lack of a more
eloquent phrase)  I'm not even going to bother to list
all the stuff it does 'cause anyone who's interested
can check out the site.

#3. It looks good (relative to anything)  Just let
your mind wander about how awesome it would look
having a 2-screen system with only a couple of radios.
 Clean, neatly designed panels are hard to come by
with all the stuff people want to put in them.

#4. The MAPS  You could file this under lot of stuff,
but it's such a huge advantage that it deserved its
own number.  Think about having that moving map with
all the charts in the world available right there on
the same screen as your flight controls!

#5. WEIGHT!  I almost forgot this one.  I have no
exact numbers on how much a normal panel would weigh -
60, 70lbs?  If you've got vacuum, it's more than that
probably.  I honestly dunno.  But this thing's
computer weighs 3.1lbs and what can those screens
possibly weigh?  5, 10 lbs each?  okay so say 10 lbs.
So there you've got 33 lbs.  All I'm saying is that
you'll probably save 30, maybe even as much as 40 lbs
which, if I may say so, is a heck of a lot of weight!
Think about it.

Okay now the downsides:
#1. HISTORY!  (That's the big one)  I e-mailed the guy
and he said there are 3 flying today.  The thing is
brand new.  This is guinea pig stuff you'd be signing
up for - but he says they're in production and it's
just a matter of getting the word out.

#2.  ???????????

Okay so help me out guys.  It seems too good to be
true and I've always been under the impression that it
therefor must be too good to be true.  Not only am I
looking for the other downsides, but more importantly
I think is the magnitude of the problem of lack of
history.

Always thinking...

Keep your airspeed up -
Aaron May
N589SF

Update!!  Today Buzz and I bonded the fuselage to the
wing center section!  I'm sure most other Legacy
builders have already crossed this milestone, but when
you have to build your own cradles, it becomes more
like a 100-mile-stone.  :o)  Thanks buzz!!

LML website:   http://www.olsusa.com/Users/Mkaye/maillist.html
LML Builders' Bookstore:   http://www.buildersbooks.com/lancair

Please send your photos and drawings to marvkaye@olsusa.com.