From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: New Scoop
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:28:43 -0700
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: New Scoop

> I really don't know yet how well it is going to

work.  Is that why

> they call

> these "experimental aircraft"?  The only data

point we have is Alan

> Shaw'soil cooler installation, which apparently

worked well even

> though his

> approach to the airflow was not as; let's say,

"sophisticated" as

> mine.

> Al

That far back on such a long airfoil, the flow will

most likely be seperated anyway.  You might find

that the added air might extend the attachment.

Might be bad if it moves the center of lift back to

far back.  Might be great if it substantially

increases lift at high AoA so that your approach

speed can drop way down (think of it as a

bastardized slat).  I doubt that you'd be able to

get a reasonable answer to the question with

anything short of a full model test.

Tuft testing on the EZs shows the flow remaining fairly well attached until you slow to higher AOA.  The you get span-wise flow flowing outward under the flow separation.  You’re right; what is will do to that flow separation I’ll have to wait to find out.

I feel quite confident that it will have no significant effect on flight characteristics.

Al