From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: New Scoop
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:21:42 -0700
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: New Scoop

Al,
        Another concern about placing these heat exchangers in the wing is what happens after shut down and the blue foam in the wing experiences heat soak as the exchangers cool?  Did you isolate the mounting from the composite?  High temp resin in the close out?  Just a thought.

Joe Berki
Limo EZ

The coolers are supported on pads of “Kool-mat”.  There is some small space all around for air flow.  The blue foam is covered by a layer of fairly dry mix of micro-balloon which is a good insulator; and of course the foam is an excellent insulator, so any heat soak won’t go far.  Used standard EZ-poxy.

The assumption is that, generally, oil temps will be fairly low in low power ground operations, and the air temp through the cooler in natural convection flow will be another 20-30 degrees cooler.  The most heating will be seen by the exit faring which will undoubtedly undergo some ‘post-cure’ during the first few operations.  There is no stress on this part, so I don’t think 180F is an issue; even if there is some softening, I don’t expect it to go anywhere.  The stresses are minimal in the wing root area in any case.

We’ll see.  Exciting times ahead.

Al