From: Charlie England <ceengland@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: engine mount
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:06:45 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
If you use any of the RTV's around oil retaining joints, there is  a risk of extruding some into the oil system. I suspect that the ultimate result won't be that much better than what has happened to Lycosaurs.

FWIW...

Charlie

Finn Lassen wrote:

If you use UltraGray or such, clean all mating surfaces with alcohol, you will not need gaskets and this stuff will not come apart. Probably won't even need the bolts :)
Of course it's next to impossible to ply the oil pan from the mount plate if you ever want to take it apart.

Finn

Marvin Kaye wrote:

Bulent Aliev <atlasyts@bellsouth.net> wrote:

""I safety wired the oil pickup bolts and used lock washers on all
 the oil pan bolts.""

Rather than lock washers, wouldn't it make more sense to use drilled head bolts and safety them together in groups of 2 or 3?  I know they're metric and probably not commercially readily available, but drilling them on a drill press wouldn't require too much effort.  Use a 135 degree split point drill bit and you'll go through them like butter.  Just a thought.

     <Marv>