From: Mike Robert <pmrobert@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: engine mount
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:50:01 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
John Slade wrote:

I used RTV only at the engine mount plate join, and I have a small but very
annoying leak when the nose is down.

Rather than lock washers, wouldn't it make more sense to use drilled
head bolts and safety them together in groups of 2 or 3?

I'd agree with the safety wire. I've noticed that my sump bolts (with lock
washers) want to undo themselves. I've tightened them twice in 8 hrs. About
a 1/2 turn each time. I'll be safety wiring them when I redo the sump /
mount plate / engine join... with gaskets this time.

Regards,
John Slade

Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/
Archive:   http://lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/List.html

When you do the pan gasket job you may help avoid further leaks by using a small punch to lightly stipple both mating surfaces on about 1/2" centers in a random pattern. This keeps the gasket and/or RTV from "walking" later on and causing those extremely annoying seepages.

      -Mike