From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: ACRE - Paul Lamar
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:50:49 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Gee, John

    You didn't mention the opinionated assertion by Paul that started this e mail list.  Paul's early opinionated view (meaning he had about Plugs Up  (rotating the engine 90 deg) and how we were all going to fall out of the air.  He desperately tried to come up with one theory after another (all easily disproved) to substantiate his opinion about why Plug Up would not work - of course, it does work just fine.   Like EWP, thick GM cores,etc, but, he was successful in dividing the rotary community single handedly - got to give him credit for that.   Paul will frequently focus on one aspect of a multi aspect situation and ignore the other aspects that might lead to an alternative conclusion. The biggest thing is that Paul will seldom let facts data interfere with his opinion.  He will aggressively attack anybody who happens to have the knowledge or experience to disagree with him - one reason you will find many on this list who were either kicked off of Paul's list for expressing an alternative view point or left because they did not care for his tactics.

   He produced some aluminum water pump castings and apparently did not recognize that early on in his reporting of  the bench testing of their flow rate with a 1 hp electric motor (  which produced plenty of flow)  that he had already disproved his assertion that it took 16 HP and therefore a monster DC 12V motor to drive an electric water pump. That even after it was pointed out to him that while there was nothing wrong with his calculations - just his assumption that it took 16 HP to drive sufficient coolant - he refused to budge from his opinion.   To give Paul some credit he did get the 16 HP at 6000 rpm from a credible source and while the mechanical water pump might indeed consume 16 HP at 6000 rpm due to pumping losses - he failed to recognize that did not necessary mean that it TOOK 16 HP to flow sufficient coolant to keep the rotary cool.

But, despite people successfully flying with EWP, the last time I hear anything Paul about the EWP he was still adamant it would not work despite evidence to the contrary - same with Plugs up and thick Gm radiator cores, NACA ducts, etc.  According to Paul they simply won't work. But, we just keep flying with them anyhow - because they don't know they won't work as we won't let them listen to Paul {:>).

Paul does have a wide variety of information posted on his web site which is well worth reading.  He can be an interesting and entertaining person to be around provided you are not in disagreement with him.

Ed

Ed Anderson
RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC