From: Bulent Aliev <atlasyts@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] engine mount
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:35:31 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Re: [FlyRotary] engine mount On 7/7/04 5:01 PM, "kevin lane" <n3773@comcast.net> wrote:

I have finally finished machining my engine mount plate .  do you guys think I can simply RTV it and the oil pan together, or do I need to cut some kind of gasket material?  I assume, too, that lock washers are adequate for like the oil pick-up line, or should I be safety wiring these parts?  the other parts I can see have lock washers (oil pump housing...)  I have never understood the reasoning on Lycoming, where many things are safety wired, except the engine halves, which don't even use fine threads.
Kevin Lane  Portland, OR
e-mail-> n3773@comcast.net
web-> http://home.comcast.net/~n3773
(browse w/ internet explorer)

Kevin, I just did mine. I used gaskets between the plate and engine and oil pan. Could not see metal to metal sealing too good (Jon Slade can testify to that). Dry run the whole thing with the oil pickup tube installed. I had to manufacture a 1/2” spacer to compensate for the engine mount plate thickness. Than again I had some oil pickup interference that I had to correct. I safety wired the oil pickup bolts and used lock washers on all the oil pan bolts.
Another thing: I did cut the oil dipstick tube also to compensate for the mount plate thicknes.
Bulent