From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Second stock turbo bites the dust
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:18:37 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message
Rusty, sounds like you are talking about the Areocharger.  If so, then you need to know that they were optimized for producing high boost at  low engine rpms and for use on smaller engines.  I talked to them about a two years ago, because I read about the areocharger in Corky Bell's Maximum Boost book  and when I realized it needed neither oil nor coolant lines, it sounded idea for an aircraft installation.

They did not even want to talk about one on a rotary engine (I never mentioned aircraft of course).  The told me they didn't think it would survive the temperatures - but that might have been a factor of the type metal they used in the turbine and of course things could have changed since two years ago.  Just wanted to mention it.  It would sure be great if it worked for aircraft use.

Another thing that would concern me a bit is that it has a container of turbine oil that lubricates the shaft via a "wick" (what ever that really means), so there is a limited amount of turbine oil.  I have no idea how long it would last and what would happen if it got low (I think I know {:>)).

But, if  it is the areocharger, it has internal vanes in the turbine housing that close down (focuses the exhaust gas on the blades) to give tremendous boost at low rpms and then open up to reduce the effect of the exhaust gas on the boost at higher rpms.  The point is that it is again a turbo designed to produce gobs of boost at lower rpms.  That would concern me at bit - even though the vanes would probably keep that from being as bad as our stock turbo.

So keep us informed if you got down that road.

Ed

RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC