From: Alex Madsen <madsena@rose-hulman.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Carbon Fiber Manifold Tube
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:27:18 -0500
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Chad,

Thank you for the offer of donating epoxy, it is extremely generous!! I
will contact you off the list to work out the details.  In response to
your numbered comments:

1) I am still working out the details on exactly which epoxy I should
use. I know that the epoxy I used was not ideal, but it was cheep. Your
observation about a wood finish need to flex is probably correct. I do
not know how much a Laminating epoxy will change the stiffness of the
lay up.  As the carbon fiber tube has sets over the past few days it has
gotten a bit stiffer. However, I think a second ply will do a lot of
good. (Should become 4X as stiff)

2) I am aware that the strength of CF is in the plane of the fiber. I
was not very surprised that the tube was bit "squishy". Here is the
analysis of stresses on the CF runner I posted today in the "other list"

According to RAETECH corporation peak pressure during a backfire
is 75-100 psi. The strength of each ply of carbon fiber is 650
lbf/in. If we assume a worst case model of a closed cylinder.
Longitudinal force is Fl=P*R/2 and hoop force is Fh=P*R. So
Fh=100lb/in^2*1in=    100lb/in
Fl=100lb/in^2*1in/2=  50lb/in
So (650lb/in*2ply)/(100lb/in) gives us a safety factor of 13.

3) The inside of the tube is rough. I attribute this to the rough
surface of the pipe insulation foam I used.  I am looking at using a wax
forms for the manifold. Wrapping the foam with Saran Wrap is a good
idea. I will try it next time.

4) I wanted to try curing the tube in the oven but my brother was not
too thrilled with the idea.

4) I am aware of peel ply. However, at this stage of the game it seems
like extra work, particularly since I am only doing one lay-up. Further
down the road a will look into using peel ply.

Alex Madsen