From: DaveLeonard <daveleonard@cox.net>
Subject: More flight Data
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:22:21 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Another day of flying and a few more data points to share (OK, I don't
really care about sharing, I just have to tell someone).

Today I was banished from my home field until my 40 hours are up.  I was
allowed ONE transit flight out to my test area.  Even yesterdays flight over
the field officially ended in a precautionary landing.

My original plan was to go do some pattern work at an outlying field to get
a better feel of the aircraft in case I had to set it down in a crunch.  But
the wife didn't't like that idea an insisted I be higher on my second
flight.  careful what you wish for.

I decided to settle the question - how will the stock turbo handle the
altitude?  Seemingly very well, thank you.  I climbed out at 120 KIAS and
500 fpm.  At 11,000 the coolant finally reached 100C (212F) so I leveled off
for about 5 min.  then resumed a climb up to 16,500.   I leveled off again
for a few min. to cool, kept as level as I could, and advanced the throttle.
I hit my prop-limited redline of 6000 RPM at 23.5"MAP and showing 172 KTAS.
But I was still only 2/3 throttle so I used pitch to hold the RPM to 5800
and went WOT.  As I passed through 17,500 the MAP was 27.3", 165 KTAS, and
VSI was 900 fpm!  And there is the power I need to beat Tracy.  I Just need
a bigger prop and a little more cold air to my rad.

Intake manifold temp was 48C (118F).

My cowl flap seems to make no noticeable difference so I just leave it
closed (that was a headache I could have done without).

On the way down I bonded with Todd.  2G 's yesterday, 2.5 G's today, clearly
best achieved via aileron rolls.  I just couldn't't help myself.  I knew the
airframe would hold so 15000 feet seemed like a good height to recover from
if needed (add additional justifications here).

Yesterday's heavy left wing turned into a heavy right wing with both tanks
full.  Nothing the Nav-Aid can't handle.  Pitch trim is easy and very stable
in smooth air.

I either have transponder problems or I keep getting places much sooner than
ATC is expecting J

After an interim inspection, I finally got in those touch and go's (4 before
the coolant reached 100C).  Temps. always come back down quickly in level
flight at less then 25 " MAP.

Thanks for reading, I feel better now.

Dave Leonard