From: Andrew Stagg <kastagg@shaw.ca>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Into the blue again :-)
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:43:25 -0600
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
As a general case, older hard drives also rotate at between 1/2 and 1/3 the
speed of today's and may be using a larger platter (further reducing the
relative speed of the platter under the head).  Both of these factors will
reduce the ability of the platter to suck the head down while it is spinning
and require that the drive be able to operate with a greater gap between the
platter and the drive.   In addition, they probably have a lower data
density on the platter itself providing a greater amount of redundancy of
'signal' to the head when it is reading from the platter.

Without knowing what the actual drives being compared are, I can't state
that these are definite factors but the generalization for the technology
based on age are valid.

Andrew