From: Bartrim, Todd <Steve.Bartrim@canfor.com>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Into the blue again :-)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 13:55:11 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Into the blue again :-)

    Cheers,
    Rusty (building max G's .5 at a time, and inspecting the plane afterwards, then aerobatics)

Hi Rusty;
        I appreciate your concern, however I should have elaborated more in last nights post but I was just too tired. These weren't just reckless aerobatics for fun (but they were fun :-), but rather part of my flight test program. I've been using a flight test program that I downloaded from the net and it calls for "G" limit testing to ensure aircraft meets the "G" limit capabilities. Granted the procedure didn't call for a loop but rather a steep bank turn increasing up to 6 g's (for an RV6). My plan was to test to 3g's with 2 on board and the max registered on the Dynon was 2.9 g's (close enough). The reason we chose to do this with a loop (besides the obvious... fun, real fun) was to also confirm engine operation through unusual attitudes. We did this with 2 onboard as I really don't have the experience to attempt these maneuvers on my own and wanted my buddy to guide me through them. I could have let him go off on his own, but still have a few reservations about his familiarity with the engine, besides where's the fun in that?

        For the next few weeks I'll be flying on my own so all my flights will be much more conservative.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B
RX-9endurance
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

        "Imagination is more important than knowledge"
                                        -Albert Einstein