From: Russell Duffy <13brv3@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] RMI was Re: Into the Blue
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:36:48 -0500
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message

BTW, I notice that you report your temps in Celsius first. Most Americans avoid metric like the plague.

Right you are :-)   The RMI I had on my RV-8 was a nice unit, but trying to work with temps in C was a pain.  A friend of mine also had a new -8 with the same engine, and we were trying to compare temps.  I was also trying to talk to Lycoming about CHT problems.  The most common question I got was "what's that in Fahrenheit".

When I was getting ready to do the panel in the -3, I emailed RMI and asked if they planned to allow temps to display in F, and they said no.  I believe the main reason was that the display only has 3 digits for EGT, and you'd need 4 digits for F.  I ruled the RMI out at that point, because I wasn't going to get "stuck" with temps in C again.

Cheers,
Rusty (never fully converting to metric)