From: DaveLeonard <daveleonard@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Into the Blue
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:31:48 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Thanks Todd,  It sure does feel good.  It is very nice to know that I can
fly it around without cooling problems, but I know it would not tolerate the
grass strip treatment you just gave your RV-9.  I know that I am going to
have to trade some of that oil cooling in for some water cooling.  I have an
unusual cooling design.  The air comes in the two front inlets, then through
the oil cooler on the right and the intercooler on the left.  Then it
pressurizes the cowl and flows down thought the radiator on the way out.

I was expecting water to be the problem child all along.  I knew it would be
important to 1) seal the cowl well so the air had to flow down and out, 2)
minimize heating of the air from the exhaust and turbo, 3) use a good exit
duct to help suck the air out.

I have a few ideas for improvement on each of those fronts, as well as
possibly ducting some cool air directly to the rad.

Some touch and go's today to see how it handles that and try to get each
approach down to no more than one landing :-)

I am trying to be a more global American by using Celsius.  You know,
present a good image to the world and all.  :-)

Dave Leonard

Congratulations Dave;
I'm sure you must be feeling immensely satisfied right now. This is great
seeing so many first rotary flights this year.
About your cooling. I find that after taxi to position and take off, my
temps often reach 205 on climb out, but on subsequent touch and goes the
temps drop so much during descent that I only reach 190 on subsequent climb
outs. However today I ventured north to a short grass strip for my first
rough field landings. I was doing full stop landings then backtracking which
required more power to move through the grass (mowing tall grass:-). I found
that temps were then reaching 210F during climb out. It was a heck of a lot
of fun to land there. So your temps sound pretty damn good. As you begin to
use more boost you can certainly expect more heat, but you should be able to
manage it.
BTW, I notice that you report your temps in Celsius first. Most Americans
avoid metric like the plague. I I figured the reason Tracy didn't provide
other units on the EM2 is so that I would stop reporting my temps in Celsius
:-)

S. Todd Bartrim  (11.1 hours flying this weekend)
Turbo 13B
RV-9endurance
C-FSTB