From: Charlie England <ceengland@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Into the Blue
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:31:04 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
DaveLeonard wrote:

N4VY slipped the surly bonds of earth today for the first time!  RV-6 QB
#60033  with a turbo 13B Rotary engine.

The flight was as spectacular and uneventful as I could have hoped.
Initial climb out at 31" yielded about 1500 fpm.  (solo half fuel).  at 500
feet I throttled back to 29", the 25" and maintained a steady climb all the
way up to 4500'.  And that's where I stayed for the next hour, doing laps
over the field.  Coolant topped at 80C (176F) during the climb then leveled
at 90C(194F) for most of the flight.  It never went above 90C (the RMI
monitor only gives coolant in 10 deg C increments, so the next would be 100C
or 212F).  Oil topped out at 70C (158F) briefly during some slow flight but
mostly stayed at about 66C (180F).  OAT was 27C (80F) throughout the flight.
I didn't see the same cooling on descent that Steve Brooks had seen.  I was
still 80C on touchdown (all three of them ;-)
snipped

Will the RMI display 10 degree increments in F mode as well? At the risk of stating the obvious,  you could improve your resolution a bit by switching to F mode.  It also makes it easier on the rest of us (the barbarians).

Charlie