From: Charlie England <ceengland@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Into the blue again :-)
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 08:20:34 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Haywire wrote:

    Today we flew for 6.3 hrs and everything was great again. We calibrated a few items including the electronic governor for the IVO prop. What a difference that makes. Also calibrated the PSS AOA and the Dynon AOA and they each are phenomenal tools. The engine is running great with no major issues at all. I do have a little tweaking to do on the low MAP table, but nothing urgent. Then only problem that I had today was that my Sony Vaio laptop doesn't seem to like high altitude. I have a small Vaio and have built a place for it to mount easily and use it to display Jeppenson's FlightMap in-flight GPS program. It works great until 10,300' where it would then display the blue screen and then reboot. After the 4th time it refused to reboot again so now I'm forced to use the system recovery disc and wipe the disc clean. I hate to think about all the files that I said I would back-up soon... :-(. My old laptop still works fine(using it now) so maybe I'll try it tomorrow.
    My EWP's are now back in a series configuration. I'd like to experiment further with a parallel system, but right now I want to get my hours done so I went back to something that I know works fine. The biggest change I made was to my fuel system where most of my previous problems were. I completely removed the header tank ansd all of it's assosiated plumbing. The new system is a returnless EFI and it has worked flawlessly now for 12.5 hours of engine running. I couldn't be more pleased with the current system.
    My temps are fine, but in extended steep climbs the coolant temp slowly creeps up to 210F. I first noticed this last fall after I had my hail encounter that damaged the cooling fins on my rads. I spent much time straightening the cooling fins but I doubt that I'll ever get the fins back to straight enough to regain full efficiency. I'll have to stop by the wreckers soon and get another good set of cores to get ready for a quick swap.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B
RV-9endurance
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

         "Whatever you vividly imagine, Ardently desire, Sincerely believe in, Enthusiastically act upon, Must inevitably come to pass".

How about a writeup on how you implemented the returnless fuel pumps? Pumps used, regulator used, etc.

Thanks,

Charlie