From: Steve Brooks <steve@tsisp.com>
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Temps finally down
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 08:37:39 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Dale,
I actually have 2 armpit scoops, one one each side.  One supplies cool air to the intercooler, and the other supplies air to a heater core.  I run coolant through the heater core all the time,to use it as an auxillary radiator.  Kind of small, but I sure that it dissipates some heat.

I hadn't really considered the effects of the armpit scoop air dumping into the cowling, but I'm sure that it does have some effect.

I have a fairly large exit area, but the prop is also in that area.  I have considered installing some sort of louvered grills in the top of the cowling to aid in air exiting, and also help get rid of heat after shut down.  I seem to remember someone mentioning that Van's had some at a resonable price.  I'll have to check into it further.

The Cozy has allot of room to work with under the cowling.  I have tons of room on each side, and towrad the wing roots.  My problem right now ids the weight.  The turbo rotary installation ended up to be a little heavier than I would like.  I plan on buying another engine to rebuild, and I very well may port it to get the horsepower and just go normally aspirated.  I realize that the muffler will add some weight, but getting rid of the turbo, and intercooler would still save a good 40 lbs, I think.  That project will be a year or so away.  I plan on flying what I have, and will work toward the next revision.  I'll build new cowling at the same time to make them more streamlined and lighter.  My cowling was for the Lycoming, and I modified them twice for the rotary.  Between the 2, they probably weigh 20 lbs more than they could, especially if I use carbom fiber.

Steve Brooks