From: Dale Rogers <rogersda@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Temps finally down
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 21:07:19 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Thanks for the photos, Steve.

As is often the case, the pics generated more questions.

In the second photo IMAGE006.jpg, is that an armpit
scoop just under the main spar?  If so, what does it
feed.  Seems like is could be aggrevating your cooling
problem if it just dumps inside the cowling, like to cool
the fuel pumps.

The reason is that it's putting pressure on the backside
of the heat exchangers negating some of the pressure
differential that would encourage air to flow through them.

I'd suspect that you'd befit from re-evaluating the size
of your cowl _outlet_, to be sure that all the air going
in has an easy time getting out.

Other than that, it looks like a very clean installation.

The last photo was far more helpful than you might have
thought.  I'm building a test stand firewall, and your
photo has given me a much better picture than I've had
before of the space available.

Again, Thanks.

Dale R.
COZY MkIV-R13B

> From: "Steve Brooks" <steve@tsisp.com>
> Date: 2004/07/02 Fri AM 08:10:48 EDT
> To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
> Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Temps finally down
>
> Dale,
> Sorry that it took so long to get the pictures, but I had to make an
> unexpected trip out of town.  Attached are 2 pictures of the add-on scoop,
> and also an early picture during construction which shows the placement of
> the radiator and oil cooler.  There is a fiberglass shroud that is formed
> around the radiator/oil cooler, and seals against the bottom cowling to form
> the air duct.  Hard to get a picture of that.
>
> Steve Brooks

Image
IMAGE006.jpg