From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Reality Check
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 12:22:44 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Dave, you don't mention what your OAT was during your runs - it do make a difference.  Since I only have a 2300 ft runway, I've never tried runs down 5000 ft and observed what the temps were.  I do know that on a hot day (90F+) I can  see 210-220F on the coolant and 200F on the oil during the climbout to pattern altitude.  By the time my airspeed is up to 120MPH IAS, the coolant and oil temps have started back down and stabilize around 190 oil and 200F during the remainder of the climb to 3000 MSL.  After than the temps settle down to 170-180F during cruise on a 90F+ day on the ground.

I would be prepared on my first test flight to make pattern circuits.  By the second time around the pattern at reduce power, your temps should be below 200F.  My first flight only lasted 4 1/2 minutes (once around) as my oil temp was over 240F by the time I reached 400 AGL.

So its difficult to say, they appear a bit on the warm side but a high power high speed taxi means you are generating a lot of power while your airspeed (for an appreciable portion of the run) is low, the worst conditions to face.  Once you get airborne, you generally reduce your power (I wouldn't on my first flight until I had to) and you pick up airspeed, both of course which help the cooling aspects.

I don't see anything that would make me reconsider a first flight.  I would just have a contingency plan (or two) depending on cooling conditions encountered after lift off.

Ed

Ed Anderson
RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC