From: Mark Steitle <msteitle@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Fwd: Alternator - Water Pump Combo
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 07:43:13 -0500
To: Fly Rotary <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Kevin,
I'm the person that posted the info on the Race Mate Alternator-Water Pump combo.  I don't know any more about it that what you can read on the sparse web site.  I really posted it to help stir the creative juices.  I had played around with the idea of using an ATV inductor coil set to serve as an emergency backup.  I had considered mounting it under the crank pulley.  I later changed my mind and went with dual alternators.  Much simpler, less costly to fix or replace, puts out more amps, and it provided a second belt for the water pump.  That's a combination that's pretty hard to beat.

FWIW, I saw a Jabiru a while back and it had a similar inductor coil setup to power the ignition, and possibly lights (I didn't ask).  If you want to go down this path, you might take a look at the Jabiru for some ideas.

Mark S.