From: <13brv3@mchsi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Synthetic oil?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:44:13 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Greetings,

I know that many, if not most of you, use synthetic oil in the engine.
Since I recently purchased a 93 RX-7, I've been following the RX-7 groups
for information.  I've read that many of the RX-7 folks swear by synthetic
oil (Mobile 1 primarily), though they're quick to point out that Mazda says
never to use synthetic in the rotary.  A local dealer even made a point of
telling me this, stating that it would ruin the engine.  The disturbing part
is that I wasn't asking him about the oil.  We were talking about an engine
they just replaced.  He didn't outright claim that synthetic oil killed the
engine, but that's the conclusion you'd come to if you were following the
conversation.  I told him that many people swore by the stuff, but he said
don't use it, period.

Bottom line is that I bought some Mobile 1, 10W-30, and plan to use it in
the car and the plane, but I thought I'd see if any of you know why Mazda
say's not to use synthetic.

Now that I think about it, should I use synthetic initially in the plane,
since the engine was brand new.  I understand that some new cars, like the
Corvette, come from the factory with Mobile 1.  If you think I should start
with dino oil, how many hours would you think I should put on the motor
before changing to synthetic?

Thanks,

Rusty
Turbo 13B powered RV-3... Be Afraid :-)