From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Help with evaluating rotor housings
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:20:12 -0500
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Ed Anderson" <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>:

Hi Pem,

     Welcome to the list.  For $125, you got an excellent deal even if you replace the housings.  Regarding the rotor housings, while their are those who say that if the area of missing chrome is not more than 1/8" wide that they can be reused (for automobile applications) .  I would strongly urge you to consider new (or better used housing) for use in an aircraft installation.  Once the chrome plating starts to fake off the wear accelerates, while you may get reasonable period of life out of them, I think with an investment the size of your RV-7 (not to mention your personal welfare) that new rotor housings (or at least ones with no chrome faking)  are the way to go. Ed Anderson

My question is about
the rotor housings, They are in good shape with no grooves or scratches in the chrome except at the edges where there is noticeable wear with small areas of some missing chrome. However this wear doesn't extend in more than an eighth of an inch from the edge of the housing. The rest of the housing surfaces are in great shape. <<<