From: <13brv3@mchsi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Wastegates & engine stuff
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:37:40 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
What turbo are you or others planning on using? Is anyone planning on using
the stock turbo?
---------------

Stock turbo here, a series 5 (89-91) for the RV-3 (another fit for Van).
I'm currently planning to use a vernier cable to actuate the internal
wastegate on the turbo.  The plan will be to leave it open initially, then
start closing it during further testing.  Ultimately, I can imagine finding
a "safe" minimum boost position for full time use, then the boost can be
dialed in at altitude for normalization.  Since I won't have an intercooler,
I'll have to be mindful of the intake air temp, and may only be able to use
significant boost at altitude, where the air is very cold.  Also, my engine
is one of the new '86 spec motors, with 8.5 compression, so I should be able
to get away with more boost than you.  If I were building the motor from
scratch, I would have used the NA rotors, and still normalized with the
turbo.  I don't see any significant danger there.

Those that are familiar with the stock turbo,
could someone clarify what the purpose of the switching valve is and is it
necessary in my application? The actuator for this is fairly large & heavy.
I'd like to leave it out if possible.
-------------------------

Are you talking about the internal wastegate?  Is it the lever that's
actuated by a big spring loaded vacuum pot? BTW- which turbo is this?  What
year range was it used?

I have built my own intake manifold, which I'm attaching a pic of for
comments. I decided that since I will be turbocharging, I could get away
without a tuned intake. Any thoughts on this?

Looks fine to me.  I'm also planning to use the brute force method of
"tuning" for my intake.  I see that as one of the ways that using a turbo
actually makes the installation easier.

Cheers,
Rusty