From: William <wschertz@ispwest.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Two problems solved, 2 more pop up...
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:00:58 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
You have to look at how heat is transferred *both ways*.  Aluminum *is* a
good reflector, especially in the infrared where the exhaust heat is
radiating.  When an object is out in the sun, it is being bathed in visible
light in addition to some infrared. The temperature that a body or paint
goes to in the sun is a function of how much it absorbs, reflects, and
emits.  For normal paints and aluminum, the relationship

Absorptance = Emittance = (1 - reflectivity) holds, for any given
wavelength.

Aluminum has a reflectance of about 0.8 to 0.9, meaning that 10% is
absorbed, but it also means that its emmisivity is only ~.1 also, so that
energy that gets absorbed is not reemitted until it gets hot.

White paint, on the other hand has a reflectance of 0.9, however the paint
is bound together with an organic binder that has an emittance close to 0.9
to 0.95 in the infrared.  So the white paint can get rid of the heat
deposited from the visible spectrum faster than aluminum, but will "appear"
black (i.e. absorb and emit well) in the infrared.

Bill Schertz
KIS Cruiser # 4045