From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary]Re: Wastegates
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:50:47 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Barnhart" <dsbarno@vbe.com>:

 At some point I'll run out of boost, and that point will define my
critical
altitude.  BTW, I'll pop-off the intake manifold at 34" MAP....
reliability,
reliability, reliability.  Comments, of course, are welcome and
appreciated.

Marv,

Just curious why the 34" MAP limit.

Barny

[When I first decided to use a 13B in my airplane I put together my "short" list of priorities... #1 was reliability, #2 was power, #3 was reliability, #4 was economy, and #5 was reliability.  Given the recurring theme, I decided early in my turbo planning to limit boost to an extremely conservative number. Since most of the turbo guys talk boost in PSI and after hearing numbers for max boost that went anywhere from 7psi to 12psi and beyond, and since each psi is about equal to 2"hg I figured on a standard SL day with the ambient pressure around 30" that conservatively boosting to 2psi (or 34" MAP) would preclude the possibility of overstressing the insides and fit well with my reliability criteria.  Even if I go to 15k ft and demand another 7.5psi of boost to maintain my full power MAP of 34", that's all the MAP the engine will be seeing and that's just fine with me.   Make sense now?

        <Marv>              ]