From: <Lehanover@aol.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Enlarging Trailing spark plug holes
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:21:03 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
In a message dated 9/22/2002 1:54:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
marv@lancaironline.net writes:

> Now if there is some magical increase in power (doubtful in my mind - but, I
>  could be wrong) by undertaking to enlarge the trailing sparkplug combustion
>  chamber hole then it might be worthwhile.  Perhaps Lynn will undertake this
>  experiment and report the results - how about it Lynn??

    Well, while there is a very small power increase in power in some RPM
ranges by splitting the timing, I wonder why you would want to split the
timing if you want (nearly) the same amount of power from the leading or the
trailing in the event of failure. I would experiment with the timing and
adjust it so that the engine would sound different enough on one or the other
that I could identify a failure by ear. At such a low RPM (6,000 to 6,500 is
low) there is good burn from either leading or trailing running alone. The
trailing is no more likely to fail than the leading. So in the worst case you
get a tone change and a slight power reduction. You head for home and switch
systems. In the best case you won't even know about the failure until the
next time would do a (Mag) check. No big deal. In my mind, it is not a
problem at all.